With preparation, a mindset with clear intentions and heavy organization at the forefront, organizing your closet doesn’t have to take all day.
The phrase “out with the old and in with the new” never seems to be more applicable than when it’s time to clean out your closet. It’s one of those tasks that seem to linger and holds your mind hostage until the mundane activity is over. It’s understandable as cleaning out your closet is rather a complex task that should be approached with care. A task that seems daunting when approached headfirst. However, with preparation, a mindset with clear intentions and heavy organization at the forefront, this chore doesn’t have to be an all-day project. Read more for the 6 Ways on How to Organize Your Closet that Doesn’t Take All Day.
6 Tips on How to Organize Your Closet
- Discard everything you didn’t wear this summer but owned longer than the summer. The bulk of this task depends on how honest you are with the relationship you have with old clothes. Unless it has sentimental value, you might as well throw away anything you did not wear this summer. Exceptions can be made for transitional pieces. With this method, it’s hard to justify wearing pieces you didn’t wear when you had the opportunity. Who knew tough love applied to your clothes because if you loved it you would’ve wore it.
- Throw away the items you don’t see yourself wearing anymore. It’s perfectly normal to randomly want to switch up your style. It’s rare that we take the time to edit our wardrobe to reflect those changes. As you are cleaning out your closet, take notice of pieces that no longer serves its purpose including items that you do not see yourself wearing anymore. This will make organizing your closet a lot easier.
3. Discard the items you see yourself replacing this season. As trends evolve and shopping remains a viable form of therapy, its helps to anticipate the items you know you will be purchasing for the season. For example, if you know you are due for better quality leggings, go ahead and discard the overstretched ones in your closet. That way it doesn’t take up unnecessary space and don’t fall to the wayside when the trendy ones get here. Read more – The Easy Guide to Fall 2022 Trends You Can Wear Right Away!
4. Hanging vs. Folded – As you go, decide which garments you are going to hang and which ones you should fold. Helpful reminder that items that get wrinkled easily should be hung. Thicker pieces like jeans and pants should be folded. Discover more ways to fold your clothes in an organized manner by checking out the video below.
5. Shoes – Its not time yet to pull out the winter boots – unless that’s your kind of thing – but you can start putting away the strappy sandals and dusting off your trustee boots in preparation for the season.
6. DONATE DONATE DONATE – Throwing away clothes should be considered illegal especially considering the flack the industry gets for not being so sustainable. Check out local programs in your area that accept used clothes. As the saying goes, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”