Community Activist and Westside ally Joel Odom, alongside Westside leaders, will demand comprehensive action and support from the Charlotte City Council regarding the tragic shooting incident on Beatties Ford Road on the evening of June 21st.
- 4 people were killed at a community gathering in celebration of both Juneteenth and Father’s Day.
- The Westside community is hurting from the trauma caused by this terrible incident.
- Community leaders want to know, if this happened at Freedom park, what would the response be?
- We know that children as young as 15 years old were at the event. Wouldn’t you want answers if your child was there?
- At Monday’s press conference, Westside leaders will be in attendance to voice their concerns with the lack of comprehensive police and elected official response and to sign a joint proclamation to address the following demands:
- Increased safety measures in the Westside corridor including street lighting, complete sidewalks and beautification.
- Comprehensive police response including a plan for recovery and healing in the neighborhood.
- Joel Odom is also calling for District 2 Council Representative Malcolm Graham’s resignation.
- Joel Odom and Westside leaders will be available for questions and interviews after the completion of the press event.
- The event will run Monday June 29, from Noon- 1:00PM
- The event will take place at 2120 Beatties Ford Rd. Charlotte NC 28216
- Members of the media are asked to park near the Food Lion Shopping Center.
About Joel Odom
- Charlotte native Joel Odom is a former mayoral candidate who takes public service seriously and believes elected leaders can influence the greatest change for citizens.
- Mr. Odom can be reached at 980-833-5695 for questions.